Author Topic: World Economic Debrief  (Read 9037 times)

Offline Libya

• Finance Moderator
  • Game Standards Board (GSB)
  • Advanced Nation
  • World Relations: 37
    • Email
World Economic Debrief
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:49:42 PM »
OOC: this thread will contain most of the my Economy moderation rulings from this point onward and it will also deal with the world economy in general, hopefully to be updated weekly. This is important because having the Economic rulings in one place will help people see what the economy is really doing and makes it less likely to miss a post affecting their nation because it is in some obscure thread. In wartime, I will likely post here and in the war thread.

IC:

With the conclusion of two major wars, commodity prices have plummeted and instability has rocked consumer confidence in several nations. The wars had long ago set off a world wide recession, however, now the affects are truly being felt as some of the soldiers come home and a work force is overpopulated and shrinking. During the war, many people in the belligerent countries had learned to do without.

Profiting heavily from this situation is neutral countries, namely Germany and Warlordia, but Glashima, Poland, Serandum, Babylon and even United Faiths profit to a lesser extent.

Russia and the Nordic Union continue to teeter on the brink of collapse, and neither government is dealing with the pressures exactly well. Production in these nations is sub-par, even for a recession climate.*

Mozambique is a basket case for all three countries holding a steak there, prolonged warfare has crippled both agriculture and industry, and few of the residents trust the Governments in Salisbury, Charlottesville or Narundi. Out of this, small, mostly peaceful free Mozambique organizations form.

KaNgwane faces a difficult election and slightly elevated dissonance after the war. Industry is confused as how to procede, with so much invested in moving operations to the Drakensburg Mountians, the debate becomes wich would cut deeper into profits: moving back to the previous locations, or shipping from the ruggedness of the Drakensburgs.

The Confederate Repubics face an oil crisis, finding that several rigs in Sudan are under producing, and a Kuwaiti resistance has sprung up that has knocked out several oil pipelines with simple IED's.

The Latin Union is shaken by the assessment by an international panel that its national credit score should be lowered one level. Most current foreign investment remains steady, however, new investors generally hold off and wait to see if the Latin Union's score will rise again. Many investors have hope that the LU economy will boom in a while once things have cooled off from the conflicts and people begin to travel more, because the LU has such huge travel industry potential.

*may need to be reported again in more detail at a later date. some facts were not updated at time of publishing.
"Love Many, Trust Few, Do Wrong To None" -- Yau-Man
Province Numbers

Offline Suez Canal Company

• Administrator
  • Advanced Nation
  • World Relations: 2
Re: World Economic Debrief
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:53:29 AM »
OOC: Is the CRR in the "same boat" as Russia?
Proud member since March 21, 2008
The State formerly known as East Xibeiguo

Offline Pantycellen

• African Union
  • Thriving Nation
  • World Relations: 8
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 09:29:01 AM »
Two questions

1. Pantycellen was neutral as well so does that help our economic situation.

2. As no one was proffering any money for it I stopped supplying oil and gas to europe, I have been supplying russia (on a long term intrest free basis for the pay back) but that is all, I presume the UKNA is okay (as they have oil rigs in the north sea which supply both oil and gas) but it is my understanding is that most of western europe's supply of natural gas comes from real world russia (most of it being in the siberian hinterland).  Also as a number of the leading oil producing nations either do not exist (as are not on the map) or are keeping it for domestic purposes I've been wondering where everyone is getting their Petroleum products from.....

Useful links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_oil_production
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas_by_country

Offline Galicia–Volhynia

• African Union
  • Advanced Nation
  • World Relations: 10
  • Nec pluribus impar
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 11:07:27 AM »
Vis-à-vis our own oil production, KaNgwane utilises coal-to-liquid and gas-to-liquid techniques to obtain petroleum-based products.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasol
Ще не вмерли України ні слава ні воля

(Formerly Finland)

Offline The United Norse Federation.

• African Union
  • Advanced Nation
  • World Relations: 3
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 02:54:39 PM »
Me and North Hein both produce our own petro fuels.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:09:09 PM by The Nordic Union »
Nexus Alliance

Offline Pantycellen

• African Union
  • Thriving Nation
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 04:33:02 PM »
Except that north heim's have been seized by various nations at various times and the NU produces a tiny amount of oil and gas and consumes far more then it produces (going by the sources I've previously mentioned)

Offline The Commonwealth of Rhodesia

• Game Standards Moderator
  • African Superpower
  • World Relations: 41
  • Sit Nomine Digna
    • NationStates page
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 09:51:58 PM »

How much, though?  :wink:

Offline Latin Union

• Advanced Nation
  • Panlatinismus et Corporatismus
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:09:56 PM »
Yeah, Pantycellen is right! Big industral nations like the LU are doomed without a good source of oil!  :-P
"I believe in Rome, the Eternal, the mother of my country……I believe in the genius of Mussolini…and in the resurrection of the Empire."
NEXUS MEMBER

• African Union
  • Advanced Nation
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 11:15:24 AM »

How much, though?  :wink:

Wiki states that I can export around 677,000 and some cange.

North Hein can export a little more than that on any given day.
Nexus Alliance

Offline Pantycellen

• African Union
  • Thriving Nation
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 01:00:59 PM »
According to wikipedia Finland produces 8,951 barrels of crude oil per day Sweden produces 2,350 barrels of crude oil a day and Denmark 342,000.  The export list says that Sweden and Finland export far more then the production list says is produced.  One must logically be wrong.  I assume from looking at the information they are dealing with oil products (i.e. petrol and similar) that are being refined there with crude from else where.  It would also explain why nations that I know produce no oil at all are exporting it.

North Heim is producing none as their oil fields have been seized and so are not in their hands

Offline HOE

• Advanced Nation
  • World Relations: -18
  • Holy Orthodox Empire
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 01:04:48 PM »
Sweden have large refineries for oil in gothenburg and stenungsund.

Offline Warlordia

• War Moderator
  • Administrator
  • African Superpower
  • World Relations: 63
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 02:21:27 PM »
A tiny oil well on Gotland (extremely high quality oil though) but the tests on the Siljan-ring has yet to yield economically significant results as far as I know.

• African Union
  • Advanced Nation
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 05:02:10 PM »
I am trading for oil as well and stock pileing it in my reserves.
Nexus Alliance

Offline Libya

• Finance Moderator
  • Advanced Nation
  • World Relations: 37
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 10:40:53 AM »
The world still sits in a deep general recession, however, some aspects are getteing better. Hope comes from a general light rise in most stock prices.

GDP in Russia and the Nordic Union actually rises lightly, however, it is still much less than it once was. In the NU, unemployment has fallen due to government investment in ifrastructure. Rebel activity has  almost vanished in both nations.

In KaNgwane, the markets remain panicky, investors are still timid to put too much money in accounts with any kind of serious risk, as the international stiuation for them continues to morph.

In the Confederate Republics, Rhodesia, and Mfasaland, there is really a mixed bag of results in the economies. Some indicators say that the nations are recovering from war, some say that the war is still causing major economic problems especially with debt.

In the Republic of Madagascar, there is dissonance on the prospects of the newly aquired pieces of India, with some investors resisting investing until they know there is no fear of rebellion. 
"Love Many, Trust Few, Do Wrong To None" -- Yau-Man
Province Numbers

• African Union
  • Advanced Nation
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 11:28:45 AM »
Except that north heim's have been seized by various nations at various times and the NU produces a tiny amount of oil and gas and consumes far more then it produces (going by the sources I've previously mentioned)

The sources you were going off of didn't state the oil consumption of a nation. My nation uses renewable fuel and does it on a large even national scale. here is my scorce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NExBTL
Nexus Alliance

Offline HOE

• Advanced Nation
  • World Relations: -18
  • Holy Orthodox Empire
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 11:40:55 AM »
That refinery is now in Russia... Dancing bear!

• African Union
  • Advanced Nation
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 11:48:20 AM »
It can be based any were in Finland and it has refinderies all over Finland. we still make it and have been doing so for quite some time.
Nexus Alliance

Offline Pantycellen

• African Union
  • Thriving Nation
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 01:09:20 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_oil_consumption

National oil consumption

Okay two problems even ignoring Russia's problem, firstly the plant doesn't seem to be making huge quantities of fuel as it seems to be in part a test bed and secondly if you are making enough fuel where are you getting the plant oil to make it from?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:36:49 PM by Pantycellen »

• African Union
  • Advanced Nation
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 04:52:55 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_oil_consumption

National oil consumption

Okay two problems even ignoring Russia's problem, firstly the plant doesn't seem to be making huge quantities of fuel as it seems to be in part a test bed and secondly if you are making enough fuel where are you getting the plant oil to make it from?

Okay. easy enough to explain. First I am moving the production upward instead of the test phase. The industrialist don't want this to hit the market fully because they would lose profits. But in my nation has pushed more penalties on companies who don't use alternative energy.

Secondly. I produce them domesticaly in large scale green houses. And with the right genetic breeding and enhancements from my Intella-Crop program. I can role out tons and tons of plant oil within every one month instead of three months. It is a program that has been used by the US and our crop yeild has nearly doubled. But I don't need produce on a scale of that measure since my nation isn't that big. So I can meet the production needs easly.

Thirdly. On that little list you just gave. My terretories are either at the lower middle or at the bottom of the list. So again I only need a moderante scale of operation to satisfy the oil demands. those consumption rating are a big joke and are laughable.
Nexus Alliance

Offline Pantycellen

• African Union
  • Thriving Nation
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 08:12:02 AM »
The genetic modification of crops takes quite a long time to achieve, most new GM crops have been in the pipeline for several years prior to their entry to the market.  The majority of genetic manipulation is aimed at allowing an increase in the fertilizer effect plateau, increase in hardiness, increase in disease and pest resistance, integral anti-fungal/anti-bacterial/anti-insect/anti-mollusk agents and making them immune to certain herbicides which increase yields indirectly (through the reduction of loss) rather then an increase in the ability of the plants to produce more (increasing the fertilizer effect plateau i.e. making the point at which you get no increase in yield for additional fertilizer put onto the crop higher being the notable exception).  You will still need to fertilize your crops and spray them with fungicides, bactericides, insecticides and molluskicides all of which if used on a widespread basis require large quantities of petrochemicals.  Next your growing them in greenhouses, okay you have to heat greenhouses and considering your nations climate you'll have to light them for most of the year as well if you want to produce product all the year.  This will require power, large amounts of it, far more then you'll be able to produce using renewable resources, meaning that again you will need petrochemicals.  You will also have to build all these greenhouses again requiring petrochemicals to do so.  Growing things in greenhouses is vastly expensive in terms of oil, for example a tomato grown in a greenhouse will require around three (3) liters of oil to produce.

So to sum it up your plan to grow GM crops in greenhouses to produce plant oil to replace petrochemicals (or more specifically diesel) with will result in you using more petrochemicals then you will be saving.

Your best bet would be to grow a wild turnip-rapeseed cross that has been genetically modified for frost hardiness and to do so in fields rather then under glass, you would have to have high quantities of salt for this to work.  You could also fully exploit the limited scandinavian coal fields to procure some of your petrochemical needs.  However even with these measures you would still need hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil a day to meet your needs.

Sweden and Denmark have a real world requirement for 534,200 barrels of oil a day (as of 2005) and 5,561,000,000 cubic meters of natural gas (as it doesn't say I'll presume a year) even if you utilize the available resources to their utmost and have massive rationing you will still need to import large quantities of petrochemicals.