Author Topic: Multistating!  (Read 10994 times)

Offline HOE

• Advanced Nation
  • World Relations: -18
  • Holy Orthodox Empire
    • Email
Re: Multistating!
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2011, 05:52:07 PM »
Then i would like to adress the issue of the number of provinces that a secondary nation have the right to, as in Polands and Glashimas case, should they have all provinces of the former nation? Or be allowed 5 as any new nation?

And does that make the rest of the territory free?

Galicia and Volhynia

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2011, 07:04:52 PM »
Good question.  :-D

I don't consider Glashima a 'new' nation and so have no issue with it regaining all of its former territory, with the obvious exception of those provinces held by another player. However, consider what would happen if at some point in the future I similarly 'revived' Xibeiguo: according to that argument  I would be entitled to no fewer than 21 currently unclaimed provinces!!! So it could prove a dangerous precedent.

As regards Poland, well the rule originally stated that a player was allowed to claim up to 5 provinces or the whole territory of a country, with the possible exception of very large countries like India and Russia. My feeling is that we should stay flexible and judge each claim on its own merits, not least because the 5-province limit enables a player to claim nearly half of India or all of Pakistan but won't allow them to recreate the former Yugoslavia!

EDIT: Just to clarify...when we talk about UNF getting 'Poland', we mean the territory of RL Poland, yes? Because that, I could probably accept. But under no circumstances should a new player be allowed to have all of the former Republika Orla Polski (i.e. Poland plus Latvia, Lithuania and the Czech Republic). That is simply too much.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:16:27 PM by Galicia and Volhynia »

Offline Republic of Poland

• Infant Nation
  • World Relations: -4
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2011, 07:09:25 PM »
One additional request, could someone forward me the flag. I tried copying it off of google, but it won't have it.

Galicia and Volhynia

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2011, 07:18:30 PM »
A regular Polish flag?

Offline Warlordia

• War Moderator
  • Administrator
  • African Superpower
  • World Relations: 63
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2011, 12:49:41 AM »
when we talk about UNF getting 'Poland', we mean the territory of RL Poland, yes?

This is my assumption, yes.

Offline HOE

• Advanced Nation
  • Holy Orthodox Empire
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2011, 03:14:45 AM »
That still dont answer what happens to the rest of the territory? Is it still reserved to new players or is the territory now open?

Offline Warlordia

• War Moderator
  • Administrator
  • African Superpower
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2011, 06:55:19 AM »
With the rule on territories being reserved for new players being De Facto defunct it is my opinion that these territories are Open.

However, this does not mean that land grabs are allowed and any acquisition of new provinces should preferably be cleared with Mods/Admins.

Otherwise Nigeria would have a common border with Warlordia by my next posting...
;)

Offline HOE

• Advanced Nation
  • Holy Orthodox Empire
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2011, 06:43:05 AM »
With the recent jumping on the multistating wagon, i was hoping for more activity. Instead, we have had less. I suggest that with the multistating permission also comes a stricter activity obligation, if your not active atleast every other 2 weeks you loose your second state.

Offline Latin Union

• Advanced Nation
  • World Relations: 8
  • Panlatinismus et Corporatismus
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2011, 10:43:40 AM »
I don't think we should move to further activity restrictions so quickly, bro. With the reinstatement of mulitistating being so recent, we should give our fellow members with secondary nations a little more time to organize themselves.
"I believe in Rome, the Eternal, the mother of my country……I believe in the genius of Mussolini…and in the resurrection of the Empire."
NEXUS MEMBER

Offline Warlordia

• War Moderator
  • Administrator
  • African Superpower
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2011, 01:11:22 PM »
I don't think we should move to further activity restrictions so quickly, bro. With the reinstatement of mulitistating being so recent, we should give our fellow members with secondary nations a little more time to organize themselves.

Good point.

Let's let things take some time and see where it leads.

Offline Eritrea

• Diplomatic Nation
  • World Relations: 12
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2011, 09:00:06 AM »
Hi everyone...

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for my recent silence. As I feared, the last two weeks have been incredibly hectic and I simply haven't had the energy, let alone the time, to be active. However, given my previous impatience in getting my second nation approved, I realise that this isn't good enough!

As regards the activity issue, I never expected multistating to be a one-size-fits-all quick-fix solution to what is a very much deeper problem. And before we start pointing fingers, let us not forget that most of us have gone AWOL at one time or another, particularly during the customary summer lull.

Now I hope you have known me long enough to realise that nothing of what I'm about to say is intended maliciously, or with the intention of causing trouble...but I think it is time we take stock of the situation here. And in my opinion, activity levels are so low because NSA has lost its way- and its dynamism. Yes, the reason I haven't been active recently is because I've been busy IRL, as I imagine is the same for many of us. But for some time now, I simply haven't experienced the thrill of logging on here that I once did and ultimately that is the reason for my woeful performance this year.

So why do I no longer have the same enthusiasm to play that I did back in say, 2006? Well it's sure as hell not because I've grown out of RPing! My desire to RP is as strong as ever before and if anything, I feel that I'm a better RPer now than I was several years ago. Yet, somehow NSA isn't grabbing my interest as it once did.

I think Rp communities have a lot in common with stock markets, in that they both depend on confidence to a far greater degree than is often imagined. Or, to put it in another way, if people are worried that a community is slowly dying, then they are less likely to put as much effort into it. This cause activity levels to fall, which in turn reinforces the impression that the community if on the way out, ultimately creating a vicious downward spiral of decline.

I feel that NSA has reached this point. How long has it been since a new player joined for more than a few dozen posts? I can't even remember. And where are our admins? Please note that I'm not trying to criticise anyone here, I'm just questioning the viability of a community where most of the admins and mods are almost never around. Surely that says something about the health of this community? Now yes, people are busy IRL...I am too. But a healthy community works around its members' scehdules. NSA doesn't feel healthy to me.

I apologise again for painting such a bleak picture, but if we are to save NSA- and I feel that there is a lot here worth saving- then we have to face the real problem. In particular, I'm starting to question our wisdom in cutting ourselves off so completely from Nation States. Whatever else it may be, it is still the best way to recruit new members. Indeed, I happen to feel that NS has undergone something of a revival recently, as a new generation of players joins. Whilst it might not equal the heady days of the last decade, I know of many new, young NS players who are interested in the sort of serious RP that we should be offering. But whilst we continue to call oursleves NationStates Africa...the NS region called Africa no longer has anything to do with us. In fact, they have their own map and seem to be dabbling in RP. And I'm afraid to say, it is they who are the future- not us.

Conscious that I've already rambled on long enough, what do I suggest we do about this? Well for a start, we need to decide whether we have the will to reinvent this community- and I really do mean reinvent it, because this is going to take more than a few splashes of fresh paint. We NEED fresh blood...we NEED fresh ideas...and above all, we NEED to rediscover our enthusiasm. Because I know of people out there who are serious about their RP and are unhappy with their current regions/communities, but I can't recommend NS as there really isn't all that much to recommend.

Seriously guys, it's not enough to demand that people stay active more...we need to make them want to be active. As it happens, I'm currently typing this in an internet cafe but when I'm back home on Monday, I'm going to really try to devote more energy to NSA. But it is pointless if only a handful of us are able, or prepared, to do this.

Offline Arab Republic

• Developing Nation
  • World Relations: 5
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
I agree that activity levels has been down and it is long since any new members joined and remained active for a long time. I think you are pretty much right in what you say.

Offline Persia

• Administrator
  • Advanced Nation
  • World Relations: 11
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2011, 05:43:01 PM »
IMO, an active AU would greatly improve the stories and interactions between players.
Former Nations: United Finjin States, Flamingo Ninja, Kurdistan, Balkan Federation, Limburg, Adriatic Republic

Offline Latin Union

• Advanced Nation
  • World Relations: 8
  • Panlatinismus et Corporatismus
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2011, 08:18:24 AM »
Yes I do think we need a nation, or group of nations to reinstate the AU IC....some good old controversy is what we need.
"I believe in Rome, the Eternal, the mother of my country……I believe in the genius of Mussolini…and in the resurrection of the Empire."
NEXUS MEMBER

Offline Republic of Poland

• Infant Nation
  • World Relations: -4
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2011, 06:54:09 PM »
I would like to point out that my finachel situation is in some trouble givin my house parents do owe a large sum of money to the IRS, and with my fathers wages being garnished, I am a little preoccupied now with my situation. I'll be returning to full RPing, in a days time.

Offline Hobbeebia

• The Opposition
  • Diplomatic Nation
  • The Majestic Imperium of Hobbeebia
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2011, 06:55:16 PM »
The AU would be interesting gateway to new Rp's especially for ones that are far more character based instead of War and logistics based
<br /><br />http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eos/index.php?act=idx<br />- High Fantasy Character/Nation Simulation RPG made by me!

Offline Persia

• Administrator
  • Advanced Nation
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2011, 04:07:57 PM »
Anyone opposed to me creating a Kurdistan account? The Kurds are putting up quite a fight and a declaration of statehood would allow them to gain international support.
Former Nations: United Finjin States, Flamingo Ninja, Kurdistan, Balkan Federation, Limburg, Adriatic Republic

Offline Warlordia

• War Moderator
  • Administrator
  • African Superpower
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2011, 04:22:43 PM »
Anyone opposed to me creating a Kurdistan account? The Kurds are putting up quite a fight and a declaration of statehood would allow them to gain international support.

War Moderator sees no problem with this, really.

For the record: Make very sure that your nations remain separate entities and don't form "convenient" alliances.
This is especially important for nations in the same geographical area.

:)

Offline Persia

• Administrator
  • Advanced Nation
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »
They will have more of a Pakistan-India/ N. Korea-S. Korea relationship  :wink:

Offline Israel

• The Opposition
  • Diplomatic Nation
  • World Relations: -7
  • United in Diversity
    • Israel
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2011, 01:27:40 PM »
So, since I seem to have some spare time and would like to develop some new story lines I cannot do with Israel, is anyone opposed to my taking up one of the following nations as an additional state:

1. Mozambique (I'm not totally sure whats going on here but its available on the map.)
2. Madagascar
3. Malaysia and Singapore (I would combine the two if allowed, if not, I'll just take Malaysia.)

If there are no objections I will do further research into all of these nations and make my choice from there.

Thanks!